Peanut Butter Cherry Cookies
A cherry-lover’s spin on traditional peanut butter cookies. Don’t skip the sea salt flakes; they enhance the nuttiness of the cookie.
James entered these cookies into the New Holland Farmer’s Fair in 2022 and was awarded a second-place ribbon.
- 1c (184g) vegetable shortening
- 1c (198g) granulated sugar
- 1c (213g) dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1t almond extract
- ⅛t LorAnn's black cherry oil
- 2t baking soda
- ½t salt
- 1c (270g) creamy peanut butter
- 3c (360g) all-purpose flour
- ½c candied cherries, chopped
- sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the shortening, sugars, eggs, almond extract, cherry oil, baking soda, salt, and peanut butter.
- Add the flour, stirring to combine.
- Stir in the chopped candied cherries.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoon onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt onto each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove them from the oven and allow to cool.